How TFN works
Watch our video explaining How TFN works
The 5 steps:
Step 1 - Applications
- TFN is contacted by, or often introduced to, a social entrepreneur with a compelling program that meets the selection criteria for Who we support.
- They then submit a standard application form at least eight weeks prior to the event, along with a testimonial statement from their Advocate. See How to apply.
Step 2 - Selection
- TFN shortlists up to eight organisations and invites a group of TFN supporters and event partners to join a selection panel.
- The selection panel meets about six weeks prior to the event to assess all shortlisted organisations on the basis of their application forms, finances and a 10 minute phone interview.
- Three or four organisations are selected as finalists and are invited to a pitch-coaching workshop.
- The presenters, plus a buddy, attend pitch coaching at a workshop with a TFN coach.
- All pitching organisations are featured on the TFN website where guests can review their application forms and finances prior to the event.
Step 3 - The Event
- Guests are invited and register online prior for $30.
- Attendees enjoy refreshments, informal networking and can meet the social entrepreneurs and their teams.
- Presenters pitch for six minutes and respond to questions from the audience.
- Presenters retire from the room.
- Advocates provide brief testimonial comments before making the first pledge of $300 or more.
- Guests commence pledging with the target of raising at least $10,000 per organisation.
- Presenters are invited to return, and the final tallies for each are announced.
- The formal part of the evening concludes and everyone celebrates.
Step 4 - The Funding
- All attendees pay their pledges online through this website.
- Once all pledges have been paid, the final amount is confirmed and the grants (less 10% admin contribution towards TFN’s running costs) are distributed to the organisations, usually about eight weeks following the event.
Step 5 - Impact reporting
- TFN tracks the progress of each program and keeps in touch with the organisations during the year, passing on updates to donors.
- In 12 months time the organisations provide an impact report to donors via TFN documenting the outcomes of the activities or programs that were funded.
||Networking, drinks and finger food. Meet the organisations who are pitching.
||MC Welcomes all and introduces the presenters.
||Three or four organisations pitch (six mins to pitch, followed by audience Q&A)
||Presenters leave the room temporarily
||Facilitated live-pledging, kicked-off by an Advocate. Two round of pledging for each organisation in turn.
||Presenters return to the room and totals are announced
||Celebratory drinks and networking.
Find out about Our approach to giving